mardi 19 mai 2015

2008 Uplander Multiple Issues - Vibration and Noise - Front End

Hi,

I've been experiencing some nagging issues with this 2008 Chev Uplander with just over 50,000 miles on it, for some time. Last year, it pulsed and vibrated while braking hard, almost scary at highway speeds. It also clunks usually when starting out from a stop, but not usually when turning or going over bumps, occasionally lately it started doing this clunking thing also when slowing.

Last year I replaced the rotors and pads all around with Raybestos premium ceramic pads and top of the line rotors. I also replaced the rear calipers as I could not squeeze them with the special turn and push tool. The pulsing and vibration disappeared and the van was braking beautifully. The clunking was still there, though.

Now the vibration is back but it has no pulsing, leading me to think that the vibration is suspension related. The other day I jacked up the vehicle and supported it on two jack stands to try to nip the problem in the bud. I tapped on all sorts of parts to see if anything sounded strange and grappled at various components to see if anything was loose. All I could find was a tinny sound coming from the lower joint on the left anti sway bar end link. All four joints on the end links were low on grease and sealed, so I ordered a pair of very nice Moog units with grease nipples to replaced the old ones. That done, both problems persist.

While I had the vehicle front end up in the air with the wheels off, I looked at the brakes to see if they were OK. The rotors looked good on inspection, the pads also looked good with even wear (very little). I loosened the calipers with the intention of squeezing the pistons a bit to test them, but only loosened them because the rivets on the inner pads make it nearly impossible to slide the circular ends of the pistons on the calipers of this vehicle off the pads, so I am not sure if the front caliper pistons are working well, or if they are the cause of the vibration by sticking a bit. The brake sliders were clean and lubed also.

I am wondering what could be causing both the vibration and clunking noise. Could they be related?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

quickcurrent
2008 Uplander Multiple Issues - Vibration and Noise - Front End

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.