dimanche 17 mai 2015

Brich arches giving away on porch

Hello everyone,

My father-in-law and I would like to tackle a project ourselves but we have been given many different answers as to what direction to go and I would like to get some advice. This was my grandmothers house. The corner of the porch has settled, causing it to sink and the bricks to pull away, causing the arches to fall. This has been happening for the last 40 years and finally has become too dangerous.







I'll start by saying that I have no experience with home construction and my father-in-law does. I do automotive restoration but I'd like to begin home repair.

Although we would love to retain and repair the arches, it seems it would be cost prohibitive and the weight of all the brick would cause further settling of the edge of the porch which has broken off and sunk, which has caused the problem. We prefer to not have to dig down into the foundation and the advice we have gotten seems to be to remove all of the brick and replace the columns with fiberglass columns. What are you guys' opinion on this? If you were going to repair this without foundation repair, what would it look like? Would you remove all the brick, most of it. Leave the brick columns and remove the rest? Right now my idea is to install a lintel and remove the brick up to the bottom of the lowest point of the roof and install fiberglass columns under it, perhaps in a bungalow style, with a very small part brick pedestal left for the bottom of the column.

If I did this, would I still need to remove all of the brick in the upper "A" part of the porch to remove more weight? If so, I could put some type of siding here?

Thank you very much for your opinions,
Brich arches giving away on porch

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.