dimanche 17 mai 2015

Is my elec. troubleshooting sound?

Newbie here, so forgive any lapse of protocol.

I'm reasonably adept at household repairs, but weak when it comes to electrical. Last week our sump pump went out, tripping the breaker which is on the same double-breaker as our furnace. I then discovered that the furnace wouldn't turn on. (Unplugging the sump pump allowed the breaker to properly reset).

Using my voltage detector, I found that electricity was flowing all the way to the furnace door switch, but not past it, even when I manually held in the switch (and obviously, thermostat was calling for heat). This is the switch.

Since this looks like just a simple switch (no voltage transformation going on), I should expect to see voltage coming out of the switch when triggered & switched on, right? The wire coming out of the switch goes straight to the furnace's circuit board, so I suppose something downstream could also be wrong, but I would expect to still detect voltage on both sides of the switch.

Does this sound right? It's easy enough to buy & replace the switch, so I'd rather just do this myself than make a service call to have someone do the same easy task.

Thanks.
Is my elec. troubleshooting sound?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.