samedi 21 mars 2015

cast iron split collars

Any millwrights on board? Or others who may know? My dad was a millwright, but unfortunately passed about 30 years ago. So I am reassembling my 50 year old Rockwell drill press, and it got me wondering what the rule of thumb might be for clamping the head, table, and base to the steel column. It seems obvious that over tightening the bolts could crack the collars, but I doubt that all of these old machines were assembled with a torque wrench. I have dealt with them many times, collars on older tractor axles, etc., and my method, which I assume I learned from my dad, is mostly based on feel. I snug them up, then sort of thump the end of the wrench with the palm of my hand a few times, call it good, and have never broken one nor had one come loose, but, again, wondering if there might be a more exacting method.

cast iron split collars

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.