lundi 16 mars 2015

Is there a way to test a fan on a central a/c?

I think the more I'm reading about this the more confused I'm getting :(.



The outdoor fan on my central a/c unit is not turning on. I've done the following:



*turned the thermostat to call for cooling, the blower inside the house starts and runs okay but blows regular air and not a/c air.



*ran outside and checked the central a/c. I see the contactor engage, and then I can hear the compressor fire up and after a few minutes hear what sounds like water running through the lines. The whole unit gets hot and the fan never turns on even after a few minutes so I shut it off again to keep it from getting damaged.



*I checked the breaker panel and the power hasn't tripped. Fuses checked okay with a continuity test but I replaced them with new ones anyways because it was cheap.



*I have tried the push stick on the fan test, it only spins freely and never actually turns itself and stops after a few revolutions. The fan moves freely without any binding so it's not hanging up or anything.



*I replaced the capacitor since it was cheap, I bought the same rated one and this didn't change any symptoms. It was a dual start capacitor.



From what I gather, the thermostat is calling for cooling like it should. The signal is getting to the central a/c unit because I see the contactor engage. The capacitor must be okay as it is new and I hear the compressor fire up, yet the fan still does not turn.



Is there any way to test the fan to see if it is the motor that went bad? Are there any other things that I should check that I'm missing, I read about "defrost board sensor" and how it can cause the fan to not turn on but don't really know how to check that either.



Should I just buy the fan and keep my fingers crossed? Or should I be testing something else? I'm just okay when it comes to reading a multimeter.



Many thanks for any advice!

Is there a way to test a fan on a central a/c?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.