jeudi 19 mars 2015

Shaw Engineered Planks; Float, Glue or Nail?

I plan to install about 450 s.f. of Shaw Epic 3/8” engineered hardwood floor in a second story game/theater room. It can be glued, nailed or floated. My original plan was to nail it down. Now I notice Shaw’s instructions state not to nail into particle board; they suggest a plywood overlay if the subfloor is particle board. I have an OSB subfloor. In my mind OSB is in between plywood and particle board for nail retention. There’s no way I’m laying plywood over my OSB, so I need to know what my best option is. I’m wary of glue, or shall I say my own ability not to make a mess doing a glue-down. After switching from carpet to a different wood product floated in several rooms on the same level, I became impressed with the sound-deadening qualities (in rooms below) of a 6 mm foam underlay made by Windsor. After hearing footsteps on the bare subfloor compared to wall-to-wall carpet, I was concerned that sufficient sound dampening could be achieved. But I’m happy with the results from the Windsor underlay in the other rooms. It feels good underfoot too. In the new project room, I have no concern for sound below, as it lies 100 percent over the garage. I just want it to feel and sound good underfoot. Unfortunately (for my glue aversion), the Shaw float instructions mandate side and end glue on each plank.



So my questions are: 1) which install method sounds best for my situation, and 2) Since nail-down is clearly in my comfort zone, would it be okay on OSB?



Thanks.

Shaw Engineered Planks; Float, Glue or Nail?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.