mardi 19 mai 2015

DIY Custom Chimney Cap

I am getting ready to replace a chimney cap. I am making this myself of galvanized steel. I have 28 guage steel for the top and bottom and will use hardware cloth to create the sides. This is a triple wall chimney, with the center being about 9 inches wide. The chimney/storm collar is 18" across and my chimney cap will be about 21" across.
You can see the basic design below- along with some colored points for my questions.

At eight points around the cap will be steel struts. They will be bolted at the top and bottom. The struts will go inside the mesh, thereby holding the mesh in place as well as supporting the top. On two sides with be crossbucking to keep the structure from helixing.

On the drawing, you can see red dots which indicate the bolts which will hold the struts and mesh in place. I am considering adding extra bolts and washers (on the inside) to strengthen the hold of the mesh to the top and bottom (these are the blue dots)

Now, comes the questions.
Are the extra bolts & washers even necessary?
Are they too little? Should I really be putting in 8 more struts or crossbucking?
DIY Custom Chimney Cap

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.