lundi 23 mars 2015

2 gang metal old work solutions (next to stud)

Hi y'all. As I mentioned in a few earlier posts, I was doing a basement rewire while the lower stud wall was open. Above this basement room is a dining room that has only one outlet. This is inconvenient as there are no outlets near the windows (holiday decorations, etc.)



I should mention I am an EE, so I like to over-engineer things. I'm a fan of AC/MC style cable over NM (keeps the rodents away) and not a fan of using wallboard to support electrical outlet boxes.



I had planned on using Arlington's metal One-Box (F101S) which screws right to the stud. I managed to cut out a hole for the box next to the stud. In the process of trying to drill down I had a few incidents with the flex bit (4 easily fixed holes through the clapboard and a stuck bit). I ended up widening the hole to two-gang width and used a flex shaft, a spade bit and extension, and finally a right angle drill to get a hole into the basement wallspace.



I suppose going NM may be an option (two gang Madison MSB2G or Arlington One-Box F102) but I wanted to see what other options there are.



Problems:

1.) The walls are 3/4" thick (3/8" plaster on 3/8" rock lath) so old work clips and straps may not work well

2.) I'm up against a stud on one side

3.) I have no plaster patching skills.

4.) My Arlington box is not gangable, and the resulting hole is too tall for ganged 3x2 switch boxes



I have a 2-gang device box with device tabs (Raco 683SP), but I realize that the screw holes in the side line up with the plaster, not the stud. Mounting "deep" and using box extenders is an option.



I have some old work four squares with plaster ears and old work clips meant for another project, but they'd need a device ring to mount outlets.



Thoughts?

2 gang metal old work solutions (next to stud)

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.