mercredi 18 mars 2015

Outlet next to utility sink for security system -- GFCI or not?

I am getting ready to sell my house and am trying to fix any issues that might catch a home inspector's eye.



I have a regular (non-GFCI) outlet next to a utility sink, mounted a little over 5' above the floor. Plugged into this outlet is my security system and my FIOS router, in other words the outlet is never unused and never gets used for anything hand-held or on the floor that would pose a shock hazard. Still, by code, I expect that this should be a GFCI (I don't think this qualifies for GFCI exemption like a chest freezer plugged into a single outlet would)?



My plan was to replace the regular outlet with a GFCI, but then a friend of mine just sold his house and the buyer's inspector complained that his security system is plugged into a GFCI (in a basement, but not next to a sink) and shouldn't be because the system will lose power if the GFCI trips.



Am I better off with or without a GFCI in this location?

Outlet next to utility sink for security system -- GFCI or not?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.