mardi 10 mars 2015

Can the tester be wrong?

There was some new wiring done in my house, and my plug in tester says the the receptacle is "correct" but I have serious doubts.



Heres the short version , I had a old plug for an electric dryer, and my bright idea was to convert it to two 110's... the wires coming in are old (house built in 50's) There were 2 black (#10) and one stranded white, used as a ground back to the panel.



The breaker was switched to 2 20 amp single pole. At the old receptacle one black wire goes to the black of a new 12/2, the white to white, and the ground (from the 12/2) is currently just hanging in the air. From there the new 12/2 goes to a junction box, where a ground wire is run from a cold water pipe up to the box, and pigtailed to the box (metal) from there it is run to a new GFCI receptacle (now in the next room). This receptacle when tested shows wired as "correct"



Anyone able to pipe in on if this actually is? is it "safe"?? Can the white stranded wire be pigtailed and connected to the remaining black wire (in the original location, which is now a junction box) and be used to run another 12/2 so there "two" 110 from the old? and would that be safe? (obviously not "code) (btw this was already done... just didn't want to go into yet more description!)



Do I really have proper ground?, what about the ground wire from the 12/2 just hanging out in the box????



I did not do this, I swear ;-) my husband had a "friend" do it and I have concerns regarding the safety of appliances and/or shock. In addition I have a brother who is piping in with all kind of opinions...



Sorry, but no way to shorten this



HELP :confused:

Can the tester be wrong?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.