lundi 9 mars 2015

Extending a switch loop from a new work box

As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have a light switch that controls a light fixture on the other side of a shared wall. The lower drywall has been removed from both sides of this stud wall As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have a light switch that controls a light fixture on the other side of a shared wall. The lower 2-3 ft of drywall has been removed from both sides of this stud wall as part of mold remediation. I'd like to extend the switch loop coming down from the ceiling fixture through holes drilled in the studs and cut in a new switchbox on the other side of the wall by the doorway.



The switch loop is 12-2 NM w/G. It's held in what appears to be a plastic nail-on 1-gang new work box.



I can try to fish another NM cable through the bottom tab and staple the wire as close as I can to the box about where it emerges below the remaining drywall or as far as I can stick my hand and romex stapler into the stud bay.



My only concern is the rule that that the tabs on single-gang NM new work boxes aren't considered proper cable clamps, hence the rule requiring NM cables be secured within 8” of a 1-gang NM box versus 12” for everything else. I know a lot of rules regarding securing wiring are not applies when the wall is finished as the rules are meant to protect cable during drywall installation. Does this rule still apply and should i then remove the new work box and replace with an old work box? I have an extra Madison SmartBox on hand that I could screw to the existing stud.



If needed I can post pics tonight.



The above assumes the inspector lets me get away with not having a neutral in the switch box as required post-2011.

Extending a switch loop from a new work box

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.