mardi 26 mai 2015

Service feed mess in an old house

Well, I bought a 100+ year old fixer-upper. I knew it was going to be a complete rewire coming in. I was told that my wife's uncle was a retired electrician... turns out he's retired, and for 2 years in the 60's he did some electrical work. So I'm doing the best I can and I think doing a good job, but I've run into some major issues on the service.

I have 200A that goes to a pole in the yard. It has a disconnect on the pole and it's buried to the house (there's a circuit off the pole going to the lights at the end of the driveway, but lets ignore that for now, unless it's found to be relevant later). The aluminum wire enters the house into a box and ends. It's spliced using a split nut to the wires that feed a 100A (I think, going off memory here) panel in the garage, that has a 60A(I think) sub panel going to the pole barn.
Immediately after that splice, is an extension into the main on the panel for the house. That was about 3 feet, I replaced the old panel and extended it about 20 feet away as it was directly above the sump pump.
There was another splice in the wires feeding the main panel that run upstairs to a 60A sub panel. It was old cloth wiring, and I did not reconnect it when I moved and installed the new panel this weekend. However, I would like to have it running the power upstairs (3 bedrooms, 1 bath).

I know that sounds all sorts of messed up, and I would obviously like to correct it. Here's a quick sketch to help clear some of that up. I appreciate any help you can provide, even if it's "call a real electrician".

Service feed mess in an old house

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.