mercredi 20 mai 2015

Unconventional Dishwasher Installation Questions

As has been the case the past couple of times I've moved and had to ready my house for sale, I turn to these valuable forums to reach my goals. (Thanks)

This house is over a hundred years old, though it was heavily remodeled in the 40s and again the 60s, plus there were a lot of aesthetic things done by the owner before me. Something this house has lacked is a dishwasher. We've gotten by with a portable and it worked great, but because the market here is kind of flat, we've decided to quickly (and affordably) redo the kitchen and the plan we're using sounds very similar to one I've seen outlined in a couple of previous posts which I found via a search.

Basically, the built-in dishwasher has to be about 7' from the sink and under the sink there's a disposal, plus a reverse osmosis water system, so there's not a ton of room and we'd rather do it without going through the cabinets and behind the stove.

Something very different from the previous person's situation, I have an unfinished basement beneath which gives me access to all of the pipes and drains, plus almost directly below is a storm shelter-like bathroom setup complete with shower and about 20' away (beneath) there's the washer setup. There is also a vent for all of this plumbing, plus the kitchen sink.

Before seeing the previous discussions, because "pretty" isn't as important as affordably functional enough for a sale -- I'm sure their home inspector would point out the unconventionality of any solutions I might have rigged -- my plan had been to put a Y on the washer's hot water line and another on its standpipe. This would mean that you probably wouldn't want to use both the washer and the dishwasher at the same time, but if that's too much of an inconvenience, I figured the future owner could replumb. But now that I've read the previous threads and a couple of other posts from that same search, it sounds like I may need to do something different.

I guess my first question is whether there's a blanket rule that a dishwasher can't drain down? I'd love to just Y it into the washer standpipe or hook it to the drain for basement bathroom sink, or I could cut it into the cast iron drain line, but if a dishwasher absolutely can't drain down or there's no scenario which would allow it to work, then I have to do something else.

Also, while I'm at it, is there a distance limitation for bringing water up from the basement? (Can you bring water up to a dishwasher?) There's the cheapskate washer option I already described, but there are also copper water lines going across under where the dishwasher would be going and almost directly below is the shower setup with exposed and accessible water pipes. Any one of which I could do, if water can come from below.

As always, thanks in advance and any help would be appreciated.
Unconventional Dishwasher Installation Questions

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.