vendredi 17 avril 2015

Grounding Two Wire Outlet, Part 1

My house was built in 1956 and has two prong, two wire outlets throughout.



About 2 decades ago, I was having problems with my old desktop computer (remember Windows 3.1) crashing due to powerline transients. So, I pounded about 7 feet of an 8 foot chunk of rebar into the ground, drilled a hole in the outer wall, ran a length of #12 wire from a new grounded outlet to the rebar and clamped it down tightly. The problem went away and 20 years later the setup is exactly the same.



Recently, though, while having a conversation with someone, they said this isolated ground wasn't safe, and I can't figure out why. Would it make any difference if I used an isolated ground receptable (orange dot)? I don't see it... the box that the receptacle is in isn't grounded to anything anyway. I'd appreciate some feedback.



TIA

Grounding Two Wire Outlet, Part 1

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.