vendredi 15 mai 2015

Logitech Speakers the Culprit of My Short / Breaker Flip?

I want to start by saying I'm not a household wiring expert by any means. I understand DC but am not very good with AC. So, I may use incorrect terms - please be patient with my household wiring n00bness :)

Yesterday I heard 2 dull noises (sounded like 2 things fell on the ground) and then a circuit in my house turned off. After that, a brief electrical burning smell was there but it quickly went away. I wasn't sure what happened, so I unplugged everything, got rid of anything that I didn't absolutely need to be plugged into that circuit, then turned the breaker back on.

Everything went fine until about 24 hours later when the breaker tripped again. I then got out my multimeter and set it for continuity, then put the prongs in each of the affected outlets on that circuit. I got a buzzer, when putting it into each of the holes in the outlet, indicating to me (hopefully correctly) that there was a short.

I unplugged all devices one by one until the short went away. It was a part of Logitech 2.1 R-20 speakers with a small built-in power supply. No other device or cord hooked up to that circuit hat a short, but this device buzzed the continuity tester when i applied the test leads to either side of the prongs of the plug, leading me to think the device itself had a short. I took the speakers apart but didn't notice anything particularly odd.

Wanting to err on the side of caution I threw the speakers away and then re-checked (just to be extra sure) each device and no continuity buzzed on any of the plugs. I plugged everything back in, rechecked the outlets and again no continuity. I flipped the breaker back on and things seem to be OK. It's been about 12 hours.

My question is this - does it sound reasonable that the culprit of my electrical short / breaker flip was the speakers? I googled around a bit and noticed that there was a recall for that model in Australia only (I'm not sure why just there). They were old but otherwise seemed to work OK.

The reason I ask is that I want to be relatively sure that I've addressed the problem and minimize the risk of further issues / fire.
Logitech Speakers the Culprit of My Short / Breaker Flip?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.