mardi 19 mai 2015

basement: insulating around the electrical panel

I'm finishing (re-insulating) my basement and it's now coming down to the electrical panel. The panel is screwed into 1/4" plywood board, mounted on two vertical 2x4s nailed into concrete wall. The basement is being insulated with 1" XPS on concrete, then 4" framed wall with Roxul mineral wool.

My question is around how the original install was done, and how I should improve on that.

Issue 1 - 2x4s nailed into concrete get frosty in winter. They might eventually rot on contact with concrete. No poly was used behind them.

Issue 2 - I can slide sheets of XPS behind and around the plywood board and the 2x4s holding the panel - but don't have a good way of preventing vapour in the air from getting between the XPS board and 2x4's. If I install rigid XPS and expandable foam around the 2x4s I will prevent them from drying into the inside and possibly accelerate the damage.

One way forward is to remove the panel, finish the wall as I have elsewhere and remount the panel on top. I would call a pro for this job.

Another way is to try to insulate behind the panel with XPS and expandable foam, ignore the fact that 2x4s will eventually take in water from the concrete wall, and frame around it.

What do you think? Pictures attached.

Name: 20150519_154512.jpg Views: 0 Size: 26.5 KB
Name: 20150519_154455.jpg Views: 0 Size: 43.1 KB
Attached Images
  
basement: insulating around the electrical panel

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.