lundi 20 avril 2015

ceiling fan install/no existing light fixture

Hi, I'm looking for some guidance on installing a ceiling fan with light kit in my bedroom of my home but there is not an existing fixture or wiring where the fan will be installed. I have an existing switch that controls one entire outlet and can get into the attic to run new wiring if needed as I will need to install the fan box anyways. The switch is currently a single but I intend to install a double at that location so one switch can control the light and the other can control the fan. The outlet I would then want to convert to an always on state.

I looked at the wiring entering both boxes (switch and outlet) and theres quite a few wires in each but it looks like 1 common 3 wire + bare that I believe I may be able to "pull" out of the outlet location if feasible and use that as my 3 way wire that will go from the existing switch location to the new fan location.

Is there a way to tell if the only existing 3 way wire in the switch location is the same one entering the existing plug location?

At the switch, there are 3 wires coming in. 2 of them are Blk, White and Grnd and 1 is a 3 way with a red. All of the white wires are pigtailed and wire nutted. All of the blacks are pig tailed and one black then goes to the switch. All of the grounds are pigtailed and then one to the switch, and the one red wire goes to the switch.

At the outlet there are 5 wires coming in; 2 of them are 3 way wire, however the red wire from one of them goes to the black wire from one of the 2 way wires and is nutted off. The other 3 way red wire is the one connected to the outlet, and this is the one I think may be running directly to the switch. All other blacks are pigtailed and one wire to the outlet. All 5 white are pigtailed and one white to the outlet, and the same with the ground. The plug has a white, black, ground and red connection.

Can I just remove that 3 way wire if I can confirm it runs directly to the switch and then cap the red wire on the outlet to convert it to an always on state? Then at the switch connect another short black wire to the existing circuit blacks and run one to switch 1 and one to switch 2; then connect the black wire running to the fan to the other screw of switch 1 and the red wire to the fan to the other screw of switch 2?

I'll be happy to provide more info.

Thanks
ceiling fan install/no existing light fixture

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.