I bought a home a couple of years back that had a 12'x12' garden area in the rock landscaping used here in AZ.
They had some 4" potted flowers in there that looked OK but did not last long.
I don't think they even put any good dirt into that area as they were the first owners of this home. I found that area was only some 4" deep and then it was very hard with some clay to be found.
I planted Tomatoes and some other things there last year but they did not do well.
So last fall I asked what to use to break up that clay and get it to stay lose and be better this year and was told to rototill in some steer manure so I added several bags to the area and tilled it in. It looks a lot better this year.
I am thinking that I may need to add some other things to make it a healthy environment for a garden but not sure what.
I thought of tilling in some organic compost or perhaps some mulch but did not know what to use before I plant this year in about a month after our last freeze.
Any advice appreciated.
They had some 4" potted flowers in there that looked OK but did not last long.
I don't think they even put any good dirt into that area as they were the first owners of this home. I found that area was only some 4" deep and then it was very hard with some clay to be found.
I planted Tomatoes and some other things there last year but they did not do well.
So last fall I asked what to use to break up that clay and get it to stay lose and be better this year and was told to rototill in some steer manure so I added several bags to the area and tilled it in. It looks a lot better this year.
I am thinking that I may need to add some other things to make it a healthy environment for a garden but not sure what.
I thought of tilling in some organic compost or perhaps some mulch but did not know what to use before I plant this year in about a month after our last freeze.
Any advice appreciated.
Gardem Soil Preperation
0 commentaires:
Enregistrer un commentaire