jeudi 16 avril 2015

Installed recessed light fixtures - Blown out 4 LED bulbs in 1 year

A little more than a year ago I bought a new projector for my living room, and decided to install recessed lights to keep the light from shining directly onto the screen. I have no formal electrical training, but after watching three or four youtube videos, I decided it seemed fairly straightforward, so I gathered my materials and got started.



There is a ceiling fan with attached lights in the center of the room. The lights are controlled by two switches, one on each side of the room. The fan is controlled by a single switch. I installed six cans in two rows of three on either side of the fan. I ran Romex cable from the box above the fan to the first can, then from the first to the second, second to third, etc. The fan and its lights are still operational, but I pulled the cord on the fan to switch its lights off.



When I had all the cans in place and wired up, I installed 6 specialty LEDs called Music Lites. They have integrated speakers so they can produce both light and sound for my home theater. They have a remote control that conrols brightness and volume via infrared when the wall switch is in the on position. I was very happy with this setup for quite a while, but then my karma ran out.



The problem is that one day when I flipped the switch on, there was a popping noise and I noticed that one of the lights was out, while the other five came on like normal. The dead light didn't produce any light or sound. Two or three days later a second light also blew out. I was pretty mad because the lights cost me $60 each and they were barely 1 year old.



I lived in semi-darkness for a week or two, then I found more Music Lites on sale online for $30 each, so I bought replacements. The replacements were in place for about two or three weeks and then two more blew out on a single flip of the switch. I didn't take note of which cans blew out the first time, but I suspect they are the same two that blew out the second time.



I thought about submitting the lights for replacement under the warranty, but my feeling is that the problem lies somewhere in my amateur installation work. I'm hoping someone here can help me troubleshoot this.



Thanks in advance for your advice.

Installed recessed light fixtures - Blown out 4 LED bulbs in 1 year

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.