samedi 18 avril 2015

Adding Outlets to Garage

My garage is attached to my house. It currently has one outlet in the stupidest spot. I am looking to add more outlets to the garage, as well as better lighting. The house is back from the 1950's I would guess



I have a few questions I need some reassurance on though.



I know that every outlet in the garage needs to be GFCI protected, as well as the GDO supposedly.



The garage already has its own dedicated 12/2 run back to the main house panel. I will use this run for my outlets. The first outlet will be a GFCI, and then downstream the rest of the outlets. I plan to have 10 outlets on the wall plus the outlet to feed the GDO, not including the GFCI, so 12 in total.



Now I know their is no set limit on the # of outlets downstream, but I also don't want to introduce any false trips either. The GFCI I purchased doesn't specifically state the max # of outlets it will protect but theirs only 7 stickers that state GFCI controlled and 3 that state not grounded.



So I'm assuming the Manufacturer only recommends 7 outlets downstream, that still leaves me with 4 left.



1. Do I run the main circuit line to a junction box, one wire to the first GFCI and 6 downstreamed outlets. Then run another wire from the junction box to another GFCI where I left off, to get the next 5 so their ground protected?



2. Do I just use the one GFCI to power every outlet in the garage and buy extra stickers to meet code compliance?



3. Do I have to run another 12/2 cable back to the panel for the additional outlets?



3. Does the GDO need to me GFCI protected?



My biggest hurdle is making sure that all the outlets are ground protected. Not sure the best way to tackle it.



Lighting



I also went with 4' T8 Fluorescent lamp fixtures. They are the kind you plug in, not hardwired. I plan to install outlets in the ceiling just for the lights. Do these need to be GFCI protected, as its strictly for lighting purposes only? Or do they take into effect someone could plug something else into the outlets?



These light outlets will be controlled with a switch on the wall. Do I need to also make sure the ceiling outlets are TR (tamper resistant)?



I plan to have the basement lights and garage lights on the same circuit. its a 15A circuit, would this be allowed, or do I need to pull another 14/2 cable from the panel to run my garage lights. I plan to run 9 fixtures and each fixture is 64 watts.



I also plan to wire up 2 standard lights for entry purposes so you don't always have to run the big lights if your just grabbing a quick item or passing through.



Sorry for the long post. Just making sure I don't skip any steps or do something that isn't passable.

Adding Outlets to Garage

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.