jeudi 26 février 2015

Drip Edge - Fascia Repair (a few questions)

Hi, I'm about to paint home (mid 50's home). I was inspecting my eaves first and came across afew things I wanted to fix first... had afew questions on best approach.



The main roof is (shingles) tongue/groove wood, which extends to the eaves. The trusses are 2x6, which are visible in north and south sides of home.



There are 3 additions to the home all with flat roof (slight pitch). Plywood roof with 4x6 beams. I'm not sure the material that is used for top covering. I would describe it as something rolled out, with heavy amounts of tar to seal it? Its not a rigged roof, just not sure the material. Seems to be the standard in S.Florida.



1. There are drip edges along the whole house. The main roof has shingles covering the drip edge. Seems clean and secure, no issues there. The flat roof has drip edges, but I'm not sure what is sealing it on top? The drip edges on the flat roof seem to be on top of the roof covering... or par with it at least, then glue/blended with the flat roof material. My question, what should I use to "re-seal" that drip edge? Is it just regular roof cement?



2. I have some fascia boards that need to be replaced. Should I be pulling the drip edges also? Or can I just pop the boards out with the drip edges in tact? The fascia boards are 1x6, with a 1x2 on the very top directly behind drip seal (as a spacer, I assume).



3. On the visible truss beams there are some minor "pockets" from ants/etc that have hollowed behind the paint. I wouldnt consider the damage severe by any means... but I want to address it. I see the previous owner just sanded some areas down then painted, which I also plan to do on the minor areas. On the larger areas I was planning to use some kind of epoxy... then I read that some people use bondo? I'm more comfortable with bondo... is this practical to use? I never would have thought of using it before.



Thanks,

Drip Edge - Fascia Repair (a few questions)

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.