mercredi 27 mai 2015

Can French drains and downspouts share a common solid line?

I live in a ranch home that was built in the 1950s. The home is essentially 25'x50'. One short end of my home is at street level with the basement fully underground. The other short end of my home has the basement fully exposed because of the slope of the ground. I have an attached garage that goes directly into the basement.

A few years ago I connected two of four downspouts to 3" PVC at a depth of about 18". It crosses the short side of my house and runs down the long side to daylight into a gigantic rose bush on my property. It has a strong slope of about 1' per 10'.

Recently, I decided to add a French drain; I get a little water in my basement after several days of heavy rain or the spring thaw. I dug it below the frost line (36" near Pittsburgh). I would like to French the short side of my house, tying into the existing PVC that carries the downspout water away. I will have two parallel lines (over-under: one receiving roof runoff and one French drain water). I would like to connect them beyond the frenched part around the side of my house and have them both share a solid line carrying water from the foundation of my house.

In short, can I connect my downspouts and French drain down the line, AFTER the French part, or is it necessary to run two completely separate lines to daylight?

As a side note: the water comes into the basement through the footer. Can a deep French drain fix this (36') [i.e. caused by surface water] or must I dig down to the foundation [i.e. caused by subsurface water]?

Thanks.
Can French drains and downspouts share a common solid line?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.