mercredi 27 mai 2015

Repairing split wooden porch columns

My Mom's place has four wooden front porch columns, either 8" or 9" in diameter, supporting a gable roof that have cracked vertically from neglect. From the appearance of the seams, these look to be 2-piece wood columns. The splits in general probably are no more than 1/8th inch wide but in one case might be 1/4". I don't know but would speculate there's a 2x4 in the core that is the load-bearing member.

I've already tried constricting the column circumference to close the gap using a ratcheting cargo strap, and it either closed the gap altogether or got it close enough that with some filler and fresh paint will make it invisible (unless you're looking really close).

The cracks all appear to have begun at the bottom, and none extend all the way to the top, so I think any plan for repair calls for some sort of a mechanical reinforcement at the very bottom, to prevent any more cracks originating there. Before I got onto the idea of the ratcheting cargo straps, I also had considered using a hose clamp to compress the columns and close the cracks, but the cargo straps turned out to be readily available. I still don't know where I'd find an 8" hose clamp, but the idea is still in the running for the reinforcement.

Other possibilities include an industrial-strength zip-tie (Home Depot IIRC has them up to 48" in length) or, if I could lay my hands on the tool, a steel banding device of the sort used to close up shipping crates. In any event, with a couple of coats of paint, it would be less conspicuous than the cracks are now.

But before I start pulling the cracks together, I figure to fill them with Liquid Nails heavy-duty construction adhesive. Then squeeze the cracks together, wipe off the excess adhesive, let dry overnight, and paint the next day.


So how would the Pro's do it (short of buying new columns)?
Repairing split wooden porch columns

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.