jeudi 28 mai 2015

Drilled through vapor barrier - fix needed and if so, what?

Hi
I'm putting in a wall mount mirror in my bathroom and there weren't studs so I had to drill (2) 3/8" to use molly bolts. On the second hole when I pulled out the drill, I got insulation and some plastic in addition to the drywall. I have just now been reading and understand the importance of a continuous vapor barrier but is it really necessary to fix this little hole?

I'm the only one who uses this bathroom and I always use the exhaust fan. I had replacement windows installed 5-6 years ago and I am sure they didn't do anything that would preserve the vapor barrier. I live in Indiana and I was drilling into the wall that receives the adverse weather as well as the afternoon sun year round. The exterior wall is vinyl siding that was placed over T-111. I don't know what is underneath. The house was built in 1985.

Cutting out part of wall just because I broke the vapor barrer seems like a whole lot of work for very little, if any gain. I don't care if there is some minute additional heat loss. So the only positive I can see is a a lower risk of mold in the wall cavity. Would spraying foam insulation into the hole suffice?

Thanks,
Lori
Drilled through vapor barrier - fix needed and if so, what?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.