samedi 21 février 2015

Heat Pump Cover to prevent ice build up.

I've been researching this topic online and am getting a lot of mixed feedback. What I need to do is prevent the ice and snow (mostly ice) from building up on the fan blades of my heat pump. We heat a lot with wood. The heat pump will come on early morning when the wood stove temp has dropped enough to kick on the heat pump. The problem is our heat pump may have been sitting for 12-14 hours with the fan blades not moving. The ice is either shot off damaging the interior fins, or, the whole outside unit will violently shake because the weight of the ice throws the fan off balance. Ive been dealing with this issue for quite a few years and with all the ice this winter, I've had enough. I know the heat pump needs to breath so I'm only looking for a roof type structure to cover the top. I have all the materials to build such a thing on hand so this will only cost me time.



Now, I read the HVAC forums and you would think I was advocating wrapping it in duct tape. lol I realize air movement is key, but what I don't know is the magic number height wise for a small cover. 6'? My heat pump is an older goodman brand and I can't tell what the SEER is, I'd guess 2. lol



The location of the heat pump is on the south side of my house along the basement wall so it looks like it is under a 2 story wall as we live on a hill. I have gutters on the house so the issue isn't ice or snow or anything coming off the house. It's the lovely ice storms we get and the snow that melts only to freeze onto everything the next night.



I considered a canvas/awning type material in hopes that it would let air escape but I don't think that will be much different from a metal roof 6' above the surface of the heat pump.



So am I insane for doing this? Will my electric bill skyrocket? Will I shorten the life of my heat pump?



I need to do something to address this issue.



Thanks for the feedback.

Heat Pump Cover to prevent ice build up.

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.