mardi 31 mars 2015

Extending a counter to allow for seating without replacing entire countertop

Hello, I am considering a change to my kitchen and want to get some opinions. My kitchen currently has a peninsula that would be perfect to have seating for my three kids along the back of the peninsula, if that makes any sense. I have seen a similar house in my neighborhood that had such an upgrade and I really liked it. However, I have no desire to replace my countertops at this time. So here's my thought:



My counters are laminate, and I know the brand and the color pattern. I was considering having a piece made, the exact length of the existing counter, and 18" wide with the same style rounded edge as my existing countertop. My existing counter has about a 2" overhang. I was thinking, I could take the new piece and mount it flush up underneath the existing overhang, so it would be like a 16" extension with a small step down from the existing counter. I hope that makes sense and I'm explaining it properly.



I wonder if this will look nice or awkward? I planned to use some of those super heavy duty countertop support brackets into the back of the cabinet, but I'm afraid the back of the cabinet isn't quite beefy enough to support the new piece. I might be able to add some wooden supports inside the cabinet to beef up the area that the brackets would screw into. I was thinking I could also screw the new counter into the bottom of the old counter (into that two inch overhang) to keep it snugged up nicely against the existing counter.



I visualize it to kinda come out looking like a flip-up section, like a table leaf, but it will not be level with the existing counter, it will be a step down. And of course it will not flip down.



Does anyone have opinions on this? Will it look stupid? I really don't want or need to replace my countertops as they are in great shape and I still like them enough to not want to scrap them. Any tips or advise on this job would be appreciated. Thank you.

Extending a counter to allow for seating without replacing entire countertop

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.