vendredi 27 mars 2015

Leach field failure?

Let me start by saying this forum has been very informative! My situation is a but unique and I will explain. My current system is:

2 compartment 750 gallon conventional septic

120ft of lateral field

Cleanout on exit side of tank leading to lateral field

The system was installed in 1996

3 bedroom / 2 bath 1400 sq ft house.



About two months ago we had a really hard rain system move through and I noticed that water was coming out of my lateral side cleanout pipe. I had the tank pumped and found that the system had most likely never been pumped. While the gentleman was pumping the tank water was running into the tank from the lateral field. Thinking it was some sort of blockage, I snaked the lateral lines and pulled out some roots. Because of this I decided that I with the help of a master plumber friend of mine would replace the entire field to include the sand/rock material in the field. I had the tank pumped again and shut off the water to my house to let the field dry out.



We began excavation and pulled out all the old material as far as we could go which was several feet. I had multiple loads of washed rock and multiple loads of sand dumped and I also bought 350ft of geotextile fabric and the piping. We layed about 7inches of rock in both trenches layed the geotextile fabric in the trenches and shot in the pipe level with an engineer level covered it with another 6 inches of rock wrapped the fabric over the rock to prevent roots and put the sand on top.



The septic is draining perfectly fine into the field but I have run into the same issue where the field fills up with water and back into my cleanout. So I'm thinking wow 4k wasted replacing the field. It took about a month for the field to fill back up. So I cut out my shower and my washing machine from the septic and re directed the grey water. I established the rules in my house to let the yellow mellow and only flush solids. That's been for about 2 weeks now. The water level dropped in the cleanout pipe but then in rained for two days straight and it filled back up again. We have continued to baby the system and I'd say in the past two weeks have only flushed the toilet 10 times. The water has gone down in the cleanout but I dug out several areas of the field 1. To make sure I was getting even distribution and 2. To see what was happening out in the field. Well I can confirm I still have 120ft of pipe underwater. My only conclusion now is that I have a potential biomat issue. And the water is not percolating into the ground anymore. Looking for some advice as I have made several calls to septic companies in the area and they are not allowed to work on old conventional systems and recommended a new aerobic system.



I absolutely am in no position to drop that kind of cash because I dont have it. I have read about the oxyclean sodium per carbonate method to help with the biomat issue. Has anyone had any success with that? I have also read about installing an aerator into the tank. Should I do both or should I do the oxyclean and then just shock the system with anaerobic bacteria? Should I pump the tank before I do the oxyclean as to allow me a good bit of time before water is re introduced into the field? I will post some pictures of everything when I get home. Appreciate any advice on this!

Leach field failure?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.