dimanche 29 mars 2015

Front Brick wall settling, Bricks setting on porch the problem?

Sorry! For the long explanation, just trying to give all the details.



I’m having a problem with the lower front bricks on my house where I have a porch, it appears some of the bricks are settling (dropping) a few of the mortar joints have separated by about 1/8” to 1/4” or so and the limestone window ledge is also loose because of this dropping or movement.



My house is about 9 years old. The brick walls this is happening to surround my front porch which is approx 6’ deep (house entrance@ the East side of the porch) to end of the porch (West) and is 18’ wide (North end at garage wall to South end @ house wall). I have poured foundation walls with a brick ledge for the front brick and there are not any problems on the rest of the front of the house, this is just a problem with the porch area.



This is what I think my problem is. The builder had my front porch concrete slab poured before the brick was installed. Unfortunately I assumed there wouldn’t be any problem with the brick setting on the porch which has all 4 sides on a foundation (10’ basement walls on S & E and 4’ or ?’ for the North garage side and West street facing side). I assume maybe the sand and dirt fill under the porch may have moved or raised and lowered the porch off the foundation a little because of freezing and thawing or maybe water just laid up against the bottom mortar joint resting on the porch and it has deteriorated (doesn’t look that bad). The area in front of the porch gets a lot of water from roof run off.



I think I have a few options that maybe can fix this. The first is to remove the porch pad and redo the brick down to the brick ledge (if brick ledge is put on the outside wall of the basement (which is the inside wall of the porch). Pour a new porch and let it float or tie it to the house with re-rod?



The second option is to leave the porch slab and remove 2- 3 rows of bricks on all 3 sides and install angle iron on the house wall about ½” above the porch slab and let the bricks set on the angle iron. Would this work? Would attaching the angle iron every 16” be okay?



The third option is to have the porch slab raised by one of the places that pumps mud under the porch pad.



I've called a 2 tuck-pointing contractors and they never showed up, a basement contractor looked at it and I told him of idea #2 and he wanted me to hire an engineer to approve it, I told him he wouldn't have to warranty it, just do it and I’d take the responsibility if it failed again.



I guess what is the correct way to fix this ? any idea’s would be appreciated.



Thank You! for reading through this long post.

Front Brick wall settling, Bricks setting on porch the problem?

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.