jeudi 26 mars 2015

Tracking down a short

I'm waiting for my local electrician to call me (probably tomorrow; I left a voicemail saying it wasn't an emergency), but thought I'd see what you guys might think of this.

We've got one 15A breaker that tripped and won't reset. After being shut off and then back on, it hums for a second or two, and trips again. One weird thing is that twice after trying to reset it (all wall switches on the circuit off and everything [ AFAIK ] unplugged), it seems to have made two other breakers shut off. (Not center/tripped position, "OFF off.") :confused:



The home is a circa-2000 double-wide on a full basement. The original breaker panel is by the side door. In 2009, we had a generator installed, and the transfer panel for that is in the basement. The breaker that was tripped (now left off) is on that panel. The circuit is for two bedrooms and a "hall" bath at one end of the house; the den; and one wall outlet in the living room (which backs up to the "hall" bath), and the ceiling lights in those rooms. The overhead light for the basement stairs is on that circuit, as is the ceiling light in the closet of the master bedroom. The basement stairs are closer to everything else, but the master BR and bath are at the opposite end of the house. (For reference, panels are "east end," most of the stuff on the dead circuit is "west end.") Oh, yeah; there's an outdoor outlet that's on the "hall" bathroom's outer wall. That was one of the first things I unplugged. (Had an extension cord out to my truck in case I needed to charge its battery.)



We had a rough winter, with some roof leaks, so I suspect it's something overhead. My prime suspect was the GFI/GFCI in the hall bath, which also controls the outdoor outlet, but it never tripped.



Questions/observations so far?

Tracking down a short

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.