jeudi 26 mars 2015

Need help understanding loss of power in a 20-Amp kitchen circuit

A 20-Amp circuit has stopped working. This circuit powers three kitchen wall outlets plus an over-stove vent light and fan. (If there are other things on the circuit, I cannot find them.)



Over the past two years I've replaced a 1000W microwave with a 1250W microwave and more recently replaced a 1000W toaster oven with a new 1500W toaster oven to this circuit. Both are plugged into the same outlet and both have been working fine, though I see now (by virtue of posts I've read on this forum) this is probably too great a load on this circuit. What I don't understand is why this never tripped a circuit breaker. Is it possible this kind of load and use would degrade the circuit over time rather then just tripping the circuit breaker if and when overloaded?



I've replaced all three outlets and tested the circuit breaker (by switching it with a known, good breaker,) all to no avail. I simply cannot find what is causing the loss of power.



I'll be getting voltage testing equipment later today, but in the meantime I'm now inclined to believe the problem may lie somewhere within the light/fan mechanism in the over-stove vent hood.



What I don't understand is, if there is a problem within the light/fan, why is one outlet, which is at the end of the circuit, at least partially functional while no other outlets are? (When I say partially functional: this outlet currently powers a small, $10.00 fluorescent light stick which is mounted nearby over the sink. As mentioned, it plugs into the last outlet on the circuit. If I plug in and turn on (say) a toaster in the same outlet, the light will go out remain and out for several hours. It does finally come back on but I have no control whatsoever of when it will come back on. It seems to have a mind of its own. Can I ask what might be happening to the current and voltage on this circuit to cause this kind of sporadic activity?

Need help understanding loss of power in a 20-Amp kitchen circuit

0 commentaires:

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular Posts

Categories

Unordered List

Text Widget

Blog Archive

Followers

Fourni par Blogger.